Saturday, September 19, 2009

National Gallery assignment

National Gallery assignment
I would love to learn more art history, I know a little about painting but when it comes to the history. I chose “The Coronation of the Virgin” by Bernando Daddi for the Medieval painting. I was interested in how the frame became part of the piece; it looks almost as if there was a window seal along the bottom of the frame and arches to the top creating a rounded triangle. I think it would be safe to assume that the artist has planned out the frame of his painting from the beginning just as much at his layout of the subject matter. The painting is of Jesus placing a crown on the Virgin Mary’s head. I want to say the artist is very talented but I wonder (judging from by the anatomy) if the artist is aware of the correct anatomy or if it is intended. Jesus is showing reverence, and perhaps giving Marry a title (I say this because of the royal gesture or placing a crown on her head). Or claiming her. I’m not sure but I would like to find out.
This second painting was from the email. The last one, a portrait of a man placing his hands on a book. Now I can’t see the frame in this picture but I assume because of the shape the framing was not as involved as the previous was. The anatomy seems to be on, as a whole everything looks placed and constructed accurately. The man in this painting is old and wrinkled but I think wisdom is being portrayed here. He has a curtain behind him with more books on a shelve, he obviously considers his surroundings to be important to him if they are in the painting right? I enjoy this style much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment