Friday, September 18, 2009

Canterbury and its tales


Canterbury
Canterbury was amazing. I thought American history was hard, little did I know… the Londoners know much more about their past. The Canterbury cathedral is so large, and old!! The stories sound more like fantasy; it’s hard for me to wrap my head around. Imagining the people and events that have happened in this building that I was in. It is a strange experience. Its architecture it astounding, the detailed carvings make me sad that there are not more buildings like that today in America! I love seeing the hard work and devotion that is so obviously seen in this cathedral. The stain glass is always fun because it is more than a window, it also tells a story, as much of the art work and crafting does! The puritans actually vandalized the whole place at one point, cutting off heads, hands, and feet of the saints. Off of sculptures, paintings, windows, anything that was related to the saints.
Near the end of the tour, Doctor Soper told me how in the cartoon robin hood cartoon, the black prince was the lion that sucked his thumb!! The stories told of him were brave and adventuresome according to our tour guide. (it was hard to hear our guide so I may have missed that) Speaking of our tour guide, she showed us a corner out in the garden there were three small statues attributed to the US for helping re build their library at one point. A donkey, elephant, and an eagle. As a thank you gesture they sometimes use sculptures to be a symbol of gratitude. In one of the most amazing rooms, (the Nave I think) there are red seals where the rich would put their mark in the grand cathedral’s ceiling. It was a little ominous in the crypt but awesome to see the time change though out many years, different arches and shapes helped clarify what time period it was made in!
I didn’t realize that monks where taught in cathedrals, I didn’t even associate monks with the Catholic Church any more, I thought monks where only still practicing in south Asia! I have so much to learn still and I’m super glad I am here experiencing all of this, even when it is sometimes hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment